/dev/cuau* ports hang after a while

Timo Rikkonen Timo.Rikkonen at syncrontech.com
Tue Feb 3 22:59:20 PST 2009

Hi,

I tried once more the suggestion of Ulrich Spörlein to build kernel without uart, and as before, the devicefile-numbering turned out odd (additional serialports are now /dev/cuad0-3, and motherboard port has devicefile /dev/cuad4. The sio's are accordingly sio0-3 / sio4).
The ports seemed to work just fine, including /dev/cuad0 and /dev/cuad4.

I made the same change on our two installations, and have had no problems since then. The data keeps on coming minute after minute (1 1/2 days now.)

All I really did was the change in /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC (comment out the 'uart'-line):
#device         uart            # Generic UART driver

Regards,
Timo