xorg 7.4 keyboard localisation (xorg.conf vs hal)

Joe Kelsey joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us
Mon Feb 2 11:18:44 PST 2009

Robert Noland wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 14:10 -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
>
>> Sebastien Chassot wrote:

>> This seems to have a way to enable HAL to detect a keyboard and export
>> it to X, but what about mice?  My Xorg log tells me that it is ignoring
>> my USB mouse in addition to ignoring my keyboard, so what sort of HAL
>> file do I add to enable it to find my mouse?
>>

> The above is only to set keyboard layout, everything to detect the
> keyboard is already present.
>

>> Where in HAL documentation is this information found?  R. Noland seemed
>> to think it was a trivial process to make HAL do keyboards and mice?  In
>> fact it is not trivial but a pain in the ass!  If you intend to inflict
>> broken software on unsuspecting users you had better think through all
>> of the problems and come up with explicit solutions to all of those
>> problems so that everyone has a chance to make their systems work.
>>

> We (marcus and I) have gone to great pains to try and ensure that hal
> behaves correctly in pretty much all mice configurations with or without
> sysmouse.  If you don't want to use hal, set AutoAddDevices off and
> configure away.

I did my best to follow ALL of the posted directions to absolutely NO AVAIL.

When I start Xorg, it explicitly tells me it is disabling all automatic
devices and refuses to use HAL or any other detectable methosd to find
the mouse and/or keyboard.

There is no documentation ANYWHERE about how HAL is supposed to help in
any of this.  There is no documentation ANYWHERE about what exaqctly the
new Xorg is supposed to do about it.  There is no documentation ANYWHERE
about the new, secret, hidden options that you can put in your xorg.conf
file to disable this whole HAL mess.

The only documentation available ANYWHERE is the skimpy little paragraph
that says, it works or it doesn't.  No explanation about why it works or
doesn't or how to determine exactly what might be wrong in your
configuration to make it work or not work.

I would not compalin if you actually documented what you are inflicting
on us rather than just say, here it is, good luck!  I understand how
difficult some of these port upgrades are, but you have to realize that
you have not provided ANY resources that anyone else can use to help
themselves figure out their issues.

I don't want to pay you with money I do not have from a job I do not
have.  You have to realize how many people may or may not have problems
due to your blithe posting of this complicated mess.  Either explain how
to use HAL properly to configure X resources or disable the capability.

Thank you for all of your effort so far.  I really do appreciate it.

/Joe