ZFS and disappearing glabels

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 31 21:57:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 12:48:28PM -0800, George Hartzell wrote:

> I've set up a system as described here.
>
>   http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/ZFSBootPartition
>
> Using the 8.0 Release DVD and then csup'ing to RELENG_8 and
> rebuilding.
>
> I set it up with a single drive, the only change that I made was that
> after creating ad10s1a I glabeled it as disk0, then added
> /dev/label/disk0 to the pool.
>
> That worked great.
>
> Then I added a second larger drive, giving it an MBR, a bsd label, and
> an s1a partition that I glabeled as disk1.  I attached that to the
> pool and it resilvered happily.
>
> However, when I rebooted I found that the pool now consists of
> label/disk0 and ad12s1a.  I detached ad12s1a, relabeled it as disk1,
> and attached disk1 to the pool again.  It resilvered fine.  Running
> strings on /boot/zfs/zpool.cache shows /dev/label/disk0 and
> /dev/label/disk1.

How did you create the labels? See glabel(8) about the difference between the
"manual" and "automatic" method. Maybe you accidentally used the manual method
on the second disk?

Or it could be that the GEOM metadata is overwritten. This metadata is written
in the last sector, explaining the size difference you noticed. If the metadat
is overwritten, GEOM will not recognize it.

Roland