ZFS and disappearing glabels

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Thu Dec 31 21:07:05 UTC 2009

I've set up a system as described here.

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/ZFSBootPartition

Using the 8.0 Release DVD and then csup'ing to RELENG_8 and
rebuilding.

I set it up with a single drive, the only change that I made was that
after creating ad10s1a I glabeled it as disk0, then added
/dev/label/disk0 to the pool.

That worked great.

Then I added a second larger drive, giving it an MBR, a bsd label, and
an s1a partition that I glabeled as disk1.  I attached that to the
pool and it resilvered happily.

However, when I rebooted I found that the pool now consists of
label/disk0 and ad12s1a.  I detached ad12s1a, relabeled it as disk1,
and attached disk1 to the pool again.  It resilvered fine.  Running
strings on /boot/zfs/zpool.cache shows /dev/label/disk0 and
/dev/label/disk1.

But, when I reboot I find I'm back to label/disk0 and ad12s1a.  At
this point strings on zpool.cache lists /dev/label/disk0 and ad12s1a.

I'd like to have the device independence of using labels, and am also
worried about problems caused by the different "disk" sizes (since the
glabeled partition is 512 bytes smaller).

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Thanks,

g.