uname(1) does not show system is patched via freebsd-update(8)

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 10:25:34 UTC 2009

On 31/12/2009 11:40 π.μ., martinko wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> The system here seems to be patched yet I do not see the information
> in uname(1) output (see below). Is this a bug or my error or what ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin

This is normal. The patch level shown is not updated, unless one of the
following applies:

1. You are running a GENERIC kernel *and* the kernel was updated as part
of the freebsd-update patching process (This was not the case with
8.0-RELEASE-p1, these patches did not affect the kernel)
2. You rebuild your kernel after the update (you may rebuild GENERIC or
your own custom kernel). Assuming you have the sources installed,
freebsd-update will update them along with the binaries. The patch level
is in the file /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh. Check it out and you will
see a line "BRANCH=RELEASE-p1". This is what will be used if you rebuild
your kernel.

Keep in mind that if the sole purpose of this is to have the patch level
info handy, you may simply override the value returned by uname -r using
i.e. the following:

export UNAME_r=8.0-RELEASE-p1

but you have to remember to keep this synchronized with the actual patch
level :)