Hacked - FreeBSD 7.1-Release

Chris H chris# at 1command.com
Mon Dec 28 22:59:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, December 28, 2009 7:44 am, Andresen, Jason R. wrote:
>> From: Chris H

>> executed in
>> web
>> your
>> webmin logs,
>> the lenght
>> aplhanumeric with
>>>
>>> While it's true that it's a good idea to check your password strength,
>>>
>> pretty
>>> much any host connected to the internet is going to be hit daily by
>> bots
>>> looking for weak passwords.  It's one area where you logs don't help
>> much
>>> because there is too much noise.
>> That's why there's GREP(1), AWK(1), FIND(1), TAIL(1), and CAT(1)
>> Consider the following...
>> adding the following to your /etc/rc.conf:
>>
>> # SECURITY RELATED
>> ####################################
>> syslogd_flags="-ss" log_in_vain="YES" tcp_keepalive="YES"
>>

>> now your log file will /really/ sing (log_in_vain="YES"). Of course, unless
>> you have a great deal of time on your hands, visually parsing that "noisy" log
>> will be quite tedious, and time consuming. So you have a few options... If your
>> running X11, simply run tail in a root window - there are quite a few utilities
>> in ports for doing just this - some that'll only write messages you want to
>> see. You could also create a script out of cron that will only produce
>> messages you are interested in, for example:
>>
>> ~# cat /var/log/messages | ssh
>>

>> will emit any attempt to ssh into your box you can also redirect the messages
>> to a file:
>>
>> ~# cat /var/log/messages | ssh >>~/EVIL_DOERS
>>

>> You could also add en entry to PERIODIC(8) that will
>> provide a daily report on any attempts you are interested in.
>>
>> HTH
>>

> Your solution to excessive noise in the security log is to greatly increase the
> noise level?!?
>
> The point is, if your machine is on the internet, then bots are going to try
> password attacks on any open port they can find.  It's just the sad fact of
> life on the current internet.  Unfortunately, this activity will also make it
> much more difficult to determine when you are under attack from an actual
> person, which was my point earlier.  It's one that is not going to be easy to
> solve either, unless you're willing to rewrite SSH to require every connection
> attempt to pass a Turing test or something.
My point here was that by increasing the verbosity, you will more easily be able
to grep against login /failures/, and more easily discover dictionary/ brute-force
attacks. It's certainly made my job easier, and hasn't required any modifications
to our current policies. You /have/ considered PF(4), haven't you? It's /really/
an excellent strategy for securing your network.

--Chris H