php5-5.2.11_1 Vulnerabilities

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Dec 26 13:39:05 UTC 2009

> I say this as both someone who does web hosting and codes in PHP.  I
> often wonder what the point of PHP is given Markup::Perl[3]'s existence.

Ooooh... another way of embedding perl into HTML.  That makes <... counts
on fingers ...> loads.

Not to mention all those solutions employing Ruby or Java/jsp or Python.  And
the Google web tools stuff, where you write pure Java and it compiles into the
appropriate mix of server side Java objects and Ajax enabled web pages.

Or the distressingly under-appreciated WebObjects stuff from Apple, which may
have been around a few years but is still pretty revolutionary (although not
free).

No -- there are many, many alternatives to PHP.  Trouble is, there are many,
many web-monkeys out there that cannot conceive of using anything else.  And
if you propose to a client writing a web app in any other language they get all
bothered because it's "non standard" and because "we can find PHP coders easily".
That's a self fulfilling prophecy if ever I saw one.  A lot like proposing any
other OS than Windows...  Now who would do a thing like that?

	Cheers,

	Matthew (who thinks HTML::Mason is where it's at...)

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW