8-STABLE: support for this SMB controller?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Dec 22 06:03:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 06:51:04AM +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>
> > BTW, mbmon haven't seen any updates in quite a long while, so it's missing
> > support for many newer chips.
> > Unfortunately, state of hardware/sensors monitoring is relatively poor in FreeBSD.
>
> Hm so I guess there is no other way in determining the CPUs temperature?
> Why do we have the ichsmb driver then anyway? ;)

If all you're looking for is CPU temperature, try looking at ACPI
thermal zones.  Some BIOSes/mainboard manufacturers implement this on
workstations.  Otherwise, if you have a Intel Core, C2D, or C2Q CPU,
load the coretemp(4) driver.

Re: HW monitoring: bsdhwmon can talk to smb(4) (thus ichsmb), but is
only intended for server boards (at the time of this writing only
supporting Supermicro).

Many motherboard manufacturers don't provide a HW monitoring IC -- and
if they do, don't state whether or not it's tied in to the SMBus, what
its base address is, or memory offsets for the data.  "Probing" for such
is risky business.