atheros issues with releng_8

Steven Friedrich freebsd at insightbb.com
Tue Dec 22 02:53:04 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 December 2009 09:23:57 pm Zane C.B. wrote:
> With the GENERIC kernel on releng_8 and releng_8_0, I am having
> issues with the Atheros wireless on my laptop.
>
> Upon boot I am getting the message below.
>
> ath0: <Atheros 5424/2424> irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci3
> ath0: 0x10000 bytes of rid 0x10 res 3 failed (0, 0xffffffff).
> ath0: cannot map register space
> device_attach: ath0 attach returned 6
>
> Any suggestions? It was working fine on releng_6.

I believe that you don't realize that under FreeBSD 8, you now have to use a
wlan interface.

Under FreeBSD7.2, I used a Windows ethernet driver, wrapped with NDIS (see
ndisgen).

Here's the line from /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_ndis0="wpa dhcp"

Note that this line is simplified because a lot of the info, like SSID, is in
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. (yes, I put it there)

Under FreeBSD8.0R, you must use the wlan interface.

wlans_ndis0="wlan0"             # wlan(4) interfaces for ndis0 device
ifconfig_wlan0="wpa syncdhcp"

I have to syncdhcp because I had this wireless device as the only network, and
later in the boot process, ntpd will want to access Time Servers on the
Internet.

HTH