Dell D830, nVidia and FreeBSD-8/amd64

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Wed Dec 16 20:22:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 03:51:30PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 December 2009 2:47:03 pm Jonathan Chen wrote:
[...]
> > I/O memory addresses:
> >     0xdff00000-0xe06fffff (acpi0)
> >     0xe0700000-0xe0700fff (cbb0)
> >     0xe0701000-0xf3ffffff (root0)
>
> The root0 range is ok (it really means free), but the cbb0 and acpi0 ranges
> here conflict with the prefetch BAR for the video adapter.  The cbb0 one I
> think is because that range is free when cbb0 needs to allocate a fresh range
> of resources.  The real bug is why your BIOS thinks that a system resource is
> using 0xe0000000-0xe06fffff which conflicts with the nvidia card.  You can
> try disabling ACPI's system-resource handling (set
> debug.acpi.disabled="sysres" from the loader).

The debug.acpi.disabled setting allows me to load up the driver and
displays a usable X screen on the internal monitor - however, my
xorg.conf was configured to use the *external* monitor. When X quits
on the internal monitor, the console display reverts back to the
external monitor with a "scratchy" display.

I've also just updated the BIOS in the hope that it would resolve the
conflict, but that didn't appear to do anything.

I've also noticed that cbb0 complains about "Bad Vcc requested" on
boot and shutdown.

Thanks for looking into this, btw.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>