update to 8.0-RELEASE --> partition gone

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Tue Dec 15 23:21:32 UTC 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 2:20 PM, Steven Friedrich wrote:

> FreeBSD 8.0 no longer supports "dangerously dedicated" disks.

This is not true. The problem is that sysinstall creates an invalid
"dangerously dedicated" disk, as demonstrated by doing:
	# fdisk ad8
	(shows FreeBSD slice information)

	# bsdlabel ad8
	(shows valid but empty disk label)

Marian just needs to wipe out the second sector on the disk to
remove the BSD disklabel that prevents the kernel from using
the master boot record in the 1st sector. This exposes ad8s1.
This then will pick up the BSD disklabel in sector 65 (i.e.
the second sector in slice 1) to give ad8s1a...

> fdisk output appears to indicate that your disk has a partition table, but I
> never looked at one with fdisk that was "dedicated"...

fdisk may or may not show partitions. Typically there should not
be any, because it's the disklabel in sector 2 that holds the
partition information. The "MBR" in the first sector is there only
for the BIOS: you can't boot without one.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com