freebsd / gpt boot

Adam Jacob Muller freebsd-stable at adam.gs
Tue Dec 15 22:11:11 UTC 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Robert Noland wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 23:21 +0100, Rolf G Nielsen wrote:
>> Adam Jacob Muller wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm trying to setup a system with a very large RAID array (total ~10TB), I would ideally like to have the system boot directly off that 10TB array, so i'm trying to get the system setup with GPT but running into an issue.
>>>

>>> The initial pre-loader (boot0 I think? -- i'm not sure what this is called) is unable to find loader at /boot/loader nor can it load /boot/kernel/kernel
>>>

>> Is the partitioning done correctly (have you created a small boot
>> partition, 15 sectors is enough for booting from ufs, but the tutorials
>> I've found deal mainly with booting from zfs and they recommend 128
>> sectors to make future bootcode changes easier)?
>
> You will need to be doing all of this from a current 8-STABLE.  One bug
> in dealing with larger zfs raidz volumes was fixed and made it into 8.0.
> Another, which deals with GPT/ZFS and large volumes did not make it and
> only exists in 8-STABLE, iirc.  Also, with the gptzfsboot code from
> -STABLE, it will request to load /boot/zfsloader by default (and
> LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT is no longer required).
>
>> gpart add -b 34 -s 128 -t freebsd-boot -i 1 da0
>>
>> Have you embedded the correct boot code?
>>
>> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 da0
>> (for booting from ufs).
>>
>> or
>>
>> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 da0
>> (for booting from zfs).
>>
>> You may also need to set it active by
>>
>> gpart set -a active -i 1 da0
>
> The above step is no longer needed on -STABLE, the pmbr will be marked
> active when you install bootcode.

Robert,
Do either of these bugs affect GPT/UFS, which is what I am using here.

These bugs are affecting the actual older versions of the tools (IE using the gpart from an 8.0-pre or earlier could cause issues like this)?

Also, perhaps not coincidentally, booting the FreeBSD memstick image produces the same error (boot0 can't find loader).

-Adam