HP LJ 1020: "ulpt0: offline"

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Dec 15 10:19:58 UTC 2009

Graham Menhennitt wrote:
> Foo2zjs doesn't seem to have changed recently. CUPS has changed but I
> doubt that's the problem. Maybe something to do with USB drivers?

In 8.x, CUPS 1.4.x wants libusb support and the ugen driver, rather than
ulpt. Once I changed over to that, all was fine.

It's a mite irritating that device permissions can't be tied down easily
as they can with ulpt(4), because CUPS needs to see the /dev/usb/*
device nodes. On my print server, I just have devfs rules for the new
device nodes.

P.S. uscanner has also gone away. I use a multi-function device (Epson
CX3650). The sane-backends can also use libusb now.

cheers,
BMS