8.0 machine won't boot single user

Matt Burke mattblists at icritical.com
Mon Dec 14 17:11:19 UTC 2009

I have a server (Dell 2950) running 8.0-RELEASE-p1 that won't boot into
single user mode - it hangs on "Trying to mount root from
ufs:/dev/label/root". It hangs when using the /dev/mfid1s1a device too so
it doesn't appear to be a glabel issue.

Previously I had this issue booting multi-user too and the only way I could
fix it was to reinstall the base distribution from CD, but this time it
appears limited to single user mode. Normal boots work fine.

I have built a kernel with DDB to get a backtrace, but hitting ctrl-alt-esc
causes the USB keyboard to die. The machine has no PS/2 ports. After the
kernel initialises the NICs, the IPMI serial-over-lan dies, presumably
until rc brings the interfaces up, so I can't fire up DDB over the serial
console. Setting hint.bce.N.disabled=1 at the loader prompt doesn't prevent
the kernel from initialising the NICs. I don't have another machine with a
physical serial port.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose+fix this issue short of trying to
hack sys/dev/if_bce.c to bring the interfaces up on attach?

Thanks

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended for the addressee only. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.

Critical Software Ltd. reserves the right to monitor and record e-mail messages sent to and from this address for the purposes of investigating or detecting any unauthorised use of its system and ensuring its effective operation.

Critical Software Ltd. registered in England, 04909220. Registered Office: IC2, Keele Science Park, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5NH.