Jails in FreeBSD 8

Peter Fraser petros.fraser at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 15:17:27 UTC 2009

Hi All

I installed FBSD 8 and got some jails up using the instructions in the
handbook. My question is this. Do you still have to use the alias IP
address on the host that you want the jail to have?

Example: I want my jail to have ip address 192.168.2.5

I put these entries in rc.conf on the host

#Jail Config
jail_enable="YES"
jail_set_hostname_allow="NO"
jail_list="www"
jail_www_hostname="www.mydomain.com"
jail_www_ip="192.168.2.5"
jail_www_rootdir="/usr/home/jails/www"
jail_www_devfs_enable="YES"

Do I also need this entry below?
ifconfig_vr0_alias0="inet 192.168.2.5 netmask 255.255.255.0"

I'm asking because I find that if I do not put the above alias entry
in, I cannot ssh in to the box and I wasn't sure if I was doing
something wrong.