Dell PowerEdge Virtual Media

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Thu Dec 10 09:53:38 UTC 2009

Stuart Barkley wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 at 20:07 -0000, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
>> Virtual Media / Virtual Console from all vendors is paint in the

[...]

>> So I am disapointed by this hyped feature ;(
>
> Does anyone here find this stuff useful?
>
> We have a vendor pushing "Virtual Media" on us and I don't see the
> point at all.  I also don't see the point of the screen scraping and
> graphics virtual display support.

It would be useful in our environment if 100% functional. It allows us
to remotely do everything with the server - deploy new OS from new
media, change BIOS settings, recovery from failure when server boots in
to single user etc. All this meens shorter downtime for us without need
to drive to the datacenter.

> I've just started playing with IPMI capable motherboard and another
> system with an IPMI add in card.  Seems like at lot of extra stuff I
> need to disable to secure my operations.  nmap shows ssh, http, https,
> portmap and some other ports of unknown purpose (plus the silly thing
> was configured to send email to the manufacture).  The web interface
> is a little useful, but not when dealing with several hundred systems.

It is better to have it in private LAN (VPN) or firewalled, not allowing
public access to management interfaces.

[...]

Miroslav Lachman