RELENG_8 buildworld broken?

ocean ocean_ieee at yahoo.it
Wed Dec 9 22:15:15 UTC 2009

Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> Actually, the way you specified CFLAGS overrides CPUTYPE. AFAIK you should set
> CFLAGS/CPUTYPE like this:
> CPUTYPE?=....
> CFLAGS+=...
>
> Though bothering with CPUTYPE or CFLAGS is actually a waste of time if you ask
> me. I've never observed any measurable improvement in the speed of the system
> by setting these. Note that most ports which DO benefit from specialized
> CFLAGS (mplayer comes to mind) have an option called WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS.

i specified it with CPUTYPE?=... and wasn't working for buildworld, had to add it in CFLAGS. also doing "make buildworld CPUTYPE=..." didn't work.

on my (old) notebook i noticed good improvements in the boot process, it was taking lot of time to start maybe one minute, with a recompiled kernel with ipv6.
without ipv6 with tweaked CFLAGS boots in less than 30 seconds (~24 seconds).

regards
ocean