em interface slow down on 8.0R

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 6 05:28:12 UTC 2009

John Nielsen <john at jnielsen.net> wrote
  in <1E3C66EA-A6D3-44D7-B28E-BF068FFF16A6 at jnielsen.net>:

jo> On Dec 5, 2009, at 4:40 AM, Hiroki Sato <hrs at freebsd.org> wrote:
jo>
jo> > Hiroki Sato <hrs at freebsd.org> wrote
jo> >  in <20091203.182931.129751456.hrs at allbsd.org>:
jo> >
jo> > hr> And another thing, I noticed a box with 82573E and 82573L
jo> > sometimes
jo> > hr>  got stuck after upgrading to 8.0-STABLE.  It has moderate network
jo> > hr> load (average 5-10Mbps) on both NICs.  It worked for a day or two
jo> > and
jo> > hr> then got stuck suddenly.  Rebooting the box solved the situation,
jo> > but
jo> > hr>  it got stuck again after a day or so.  After it happens, the
jo> > hr>  interface does not respond.  The other functionalities of FreeBSD
jo> > hr> seemed working.  Doing an up/down cycle for the NICs seemed to
jo> > send
jo> > hr> some packets, but it did not recover completely; rebooting was
jo> > needed
jo> > hr> for recovery.  This box does not have the RTT problem.  I am still
jo> > hr>  not sure what is the trigger, there seems something wrong.
jo> >
jo> > Things turned out for this symptom so far are:
jo> >
jo> > - This occurs around once per 1-2 days.
jo> >
jo> > - Once it occurs, all of communications including ARP and IPv4 stop.
jo> >
jo> > - "ifconfig em0 down/up" can recover the interface. However, on doing
jo> >   "up" after "down" the following message was displayed:
jo> >
jo> >   # ifconfig em0 up
jo> >   em0: Could not setup receive structures
jo> >
jo> >   After trying it several times it worked.
jo> >
jo> >   Then, the interface seemed back to normal for a couple of minutes,
jo> >   but it stopped again.
jo> >
jo> > I guess there is a kind of deadlock somewhere but not sure it is
jo> > really related to the em(4) driver.  I will continue to investigate
jo> > anyway.
jo>
jo> I'm curious, what speed/duplex is your interface using and is it
jo> statically set or using autoselect?

 No manual configuration.  Two em's are set as the following:

 | media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

 It is mainly used for NFS server.  The actual communication speed was
 around 700Mbps at peak.

-- Hiroki