em interface slow down on 8.0R

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 5 09:43:27 UTC 2009

Hiroki Sato <hrs at freebsd.org> wrote
  in <20091203.182931.129751456.hrs at allbsd.org>:

hr>  And another thing, I noticed a box with 82573E and 82573L sometimes
hr>  got stuck after upgrading to 8.0-STABLE.  It has moderate network
hr>  load (average 5-10Mbps) on both NICs.  It worked for a day or two and
hr>  then got stuck suddenly.  Rebooting the box solved the situation, but
hr>  it got stuck again after a day or so.  After it happens, the
hr>  interface does not respond.  The other functionalities of FreeBSD
hr>  seemed working.  Doing an up/down cycle for the NICs seemed to send
hr>  some packets, but it did not recover completely; rebooting was needed
hr>  for recovery.  This box does not have the RTT problem.  I am still
hr>  not sure what is the trigger, there seems something wrong.

 Things turned out for this symptom so far are:

 - This occurs around once per 1-2 days.

 - Once it occurs, all of communications including ARP and IPv4 stop.

 - "ifconfig em0 down/up" can recover the interface. However, on doing
   "up" after "down" the following message was displayed:

   # ifconfig em0 up
   em0: Could not setup receive structures

   After trying it several times it worked.

   Then, the interface seemed back to normal for a couple of minutes,
   but it stopped again.

 I guess there is a kind of deadlock somewhere but not sure it is
 really related to the em(4) driver.  I will continue to investigate
 anyway.

-- Hiroki