vge problem

Yoshiaki Kasahara kasahara at nc.kyushu-u.ac.jp
Fri Dec 4 18:26:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:36:01 -0800,
	Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> said:

>> After I rebooted with the new kernel, the boot sequence stopped just
>> after setting hostname.
>>
>> Setting hostname: elvenbow.cc.kyushu-u.ac.jp
>> msk0: Uncorrectable PCI Express error
>> vge0: link state changed to DOWN
>> msk0: link state changed to DOWN
>> (stop)
>>
>> The system didn't completely freeze. I can push "Scroll Lock" and
>> "Page Up/Down" to browse the boot messages, but sometimes it stopped
>> responding to my input for a second. Ctrl-C had no effect and I had to
>> hit the reset button. Now my PC is synchronizing degraded gmirror
>> volume...(ouch)
>>

> I'm not sure why it would get stuck. You touched only vge(4),
> right?

Yes, I only touched vge(4). I believe that "msk0: Uncorretable PCI
Express error" wasn't relevant to the freeze because it also happened
before I replaced vge(4). I guess the system froze while initializing
vge(4), but I'm not really sure actually.

What can I do to narrow the cause of problems? Is it useful to build
kernel with options KDB and DDB?

Regards,
--
Yoshiaki Kasahara
Research Institute for Information Technology, Kyushu University
kasahara at nc.kyushu-u.ac.jp