Quggaa locking hard.

alexpalias-bsdstable at yahoo.com alexpalias-bsdstable at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 09:13:25 UTC 2009

I have also seen this with a recent version of FreeBSD 8 (I know 8.0-BETA2 didn't have this problem, also I have an 8.0-RC1 without problems,  but I think RC3 did have it, and I'm sure -RELEASE has it).

A few more details:

It happened both on amd64 and i386.  I couldn't debug amd64 (it was a live server and we couldn't afford it), but on i386 flowcleaner was using a LOT of CPU.

It seemed to happen after booting, when quagga was importing global routing tables (~300k routes) from 2 BGP sessions.  At least one of the sessions seemed to finish importing routes, but the kernel routing table seemed to be growing very slowly.

Doing "netstat -nr | wc -l" took way longer than usual (20-30 seconds versus 9 seconds now), and it only reported about 100k routes.  Doing it again after a minute or so showed the number of routes grew by around 10k.

During this time, both quagga and zebra were very slow to respond to a new telnet session opened to them.

As a workaround, I did sysctl net.inet.flowtable.enable=0.  This didn't ease the load on the CPU, but having it in /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooting did help (quagga started up normally and all routes are where they should be).

Hope this helps
    Alex