vge problem

Yoshiaki Kasahara kasahara at nc.kyushu-u.ac.jp
Fri Dec 4 05:47:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:08:10 -0800,
	Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> said:

> I remember there were several instability reports of vge(4). Would
> you try the following patch? The patch was generated against
> CURRENT so it may not cleanly apply to 8.0 due to if_timer changes.
> But I think you can download latest vge(4) code in CURRENT and
> apply the patch. Note, the patch was not tested at all on real
> hardware so it even may not work at all.(Long time ago, I ordered
> the vge(4) hardware was not delivered.)

I downloaded vge(4) code in CURRENT, put it in 8.0R source tree,
applied the patch, and rebuild GENERIC kernel (actually I shortcut it
with NO_CLEAN flag).

After I rebooted with the new kernel, the boot sequence stopped just
after setting hostname.

Setting hostname: elvenbow.cc.kyushu-u.ac.jp
msk0: Uncorrectable PCI Express error
vge0: link state changed to DOWN
msk0: link state changed to DOWN
(stop)

The system didn't completely freeze. I can push "Scroll Lock" and
"Page Up/Down" to browse the boot messages, but sometimes it stopped
responding to my input for a second. Ctrl-C had no effect and I had to
hit the reset button. Now my PC is synchronizing degraded gmirror
volume...(ouch)

I'm wondering if I need complete kernel rebuild for the code to work...

Regards,
--
Yoshiaki Kasahara
Research Institute for Information Technology, Kyushu University
kasahara at nc.kyushu-u.ac.jp