loader(8) readin failed on 7.2R and later including 8.0R

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 3 10:30:47 UTC 2009

John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote
  in <200912020948.05698.jhb at freebsd.org>:

jh> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 12:13:39 pm Hiroki Sato wrote:
jh> >  While the "load" command seemed to finish, the box got stuck just
jh> >  after entering "boot" command.
jh> >
jh> >  Curious to say, I have got this symptom only on a specific box in
jh> >  more than ten different boxes I upgraded so far; it is based on an
jh> >  old motherboard Supermicro P4DPE[*].
jh> >
jh> >  [*] http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/E7500/P4DPE.cfm
jh> >
jh> >  Any workaround?  Booting from release CDROMs (7.2R and 8.0R) also
jh> >  fail.  On the box "7.1R" or "7.1R's loader + 7.2R kernel" worked
jh> >  fine.  It is possible something in changes of loader(8) between 7.1R
jh> >  and 7.2R is the cause, but I am still not sure what it is...
jh>
jh> It may be related to the loader switching to using memory > 1MB for its
jh> malloc().  Maybe try building the loader with 'LOADER_NO_GPT_SUPPORT=yes' in
jh> /etc/src.conf?

 Thanks, a recompiled loader with LOADER_NO_GPT_SUPPORT=yes' displayed
 "elf32_loadimage: could not read symbols - skipped!" for 8.0R kernel.
 This is the same as 7.1R's loader + 8.0R kernel case.

-- Hiroki