Freebsd 8.0 system freeze

Bernhard Schmidt bschmidt at techwires.net
Wed Dec 2 19:10:38 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 17:22:13 Peter Pieczora wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded from 7.2-STABLE to 8.0-RELEASE, and I'm encountering
> frequent system freezes (hang ups), which end in a reboot.
>
> There is no indication of any panic, no messages are generated and no core
> dump files (sysctl kern.coredump=1).
>
> System runs on IBM T43 with intel wireless chipset, iwi modules are loaded
> during boot via /boot/loader.conf.
>
> legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1
> if_iwi_load="YES"
> wlan_load="YES"
> firmware_load="YES"
> iwi_bss_load="YES"
> iwi_ibss_load="YES"
> iwi_monitor_load="YES
>
> Typically msg. look something like that or similar (iwi0 line gets repeated
> twice or 3 times):
>
> Dec  1 22:02:12 local kernel: wlan0: link state changed to DOWN
> Dec  1 22:02:19 local kernel: wlan0: link state changed to UP
> Dec  1 22:02:19 local kernel: iwi0: need multicast update callback
> Dec  1 22:02:30 local kernel: wlan0: link state changed to DOWN
> Dec  1 22:04:14 local syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> ATM I am at work using bge0 interface and system runs without freezing so
>  far. Could this situation be attributed to iwi driver or maybe wlandev?

I've seen something which might be related. Using a iwn(4) device for some
time my -CURRENT box locks up completely, no reboot, no panic, no
ctrl+alt+esc..

The last message I see is from net80211 sending a power notification wakeup
message after returning form a background scan.

Still digging around, trying to find the cause.

--
Bernhard