Freebsd 8.0 system freeze

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Dec 2 16:43:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 04:22:13PM +0000, Peter Pieczora wrote:
> I recently upgraded from 7.2-STABLE to 8.0-RELEASE, and I'm encountering
> frequent system freezes (hang ups), which end in a reboot.
>
> There is no indication of any panic, no messages are generated and no core
> dump files (sysctl kern.coredump=1).

Are you sure?  The crash dumps may be being generated (hard to say for
certain), but usually savecore will pick them up by analysing swap when
the system comes up next.

However, out-of-the-box, FreeBSD will not make a crash dump in swap,
because /etc/defaults/rc.conf contains dumpdev="NO".

If you change this to "AUTO", it will automatically pick the device
associated with swap based on /etc/fstab (or you can set it yourself).

Taken from the rc.conf man page:

dumpdev     (str) Indicates the device (usually a swap partition) to
            which a crash dump should be written in the event of a system
            crash.  If the value of this variable is ``AUTO'', the first
            suitable swap device listed in /etc/fstab will be used as
            dump device.  Otherwise, the value of this variable is passed
            as the argument to dumpon(8).  To disable crash dumps, set
            this variable to ``NO''.

Finally, you should be aware of the below issue.  It's been a while
since I've tested for its existence (we're now into the RELENG_8 days,
not 6), but it may still apply -- I haven't checked.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=118255&cat=
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable@freebsd.org/msg92323.html