SSH oddness with 8.0-STABLE

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Tue Dec 1 11:16:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 7.2-STABLE to 8.0-STABLE, and I'm
encountering key-conflicts warnings whenever I attempt to ssh to a
host that I've previously ssh'd into. eg:

    WARNING: DSA key found for host xx.yy.zz
    in /home/jonc/.ssh/known_hosts:5
    DSA key fingerprint 5e:cf:fe:9d:c2:1d:6c:77:81:e5:73:ce:cd:bb:55:dc.

    The authenticity of host 'xx.yy.zz (nnn.nn.nn.nn)' can't be established
    but keys of different type are already known for this host.
    RSA key fingerprint is
    ce:5b:eb:d3:10:ef:a7:c1:8d:86:06:6e:c6:14:d1:6f.
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? ^C

After a flurry of panic, where I had to determine whether I had been
subjected to a man-in-the-middle attack, I verified that this warning
for all the hosts in my known_hosts file.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is this a known issue?

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>