wpi driver freeze on boot

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Tue Sep 30 19:07:09 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008, "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda at gmail.com> sent a
missive stating:
> On 9/30/08, Henrik Hudson <lists at rhavenn.net> wrote:
> > I've got a HP dv8000 laptop. Setting up the wpi driver for wireless
> > freezes the system on boot with the following error:
> >
> > wpi0 requested unsupported memory range
> > wpi0: could not allocate memory resource
> >
> > It lists a pcbi device (pcbi4 i think) and an actual memory range, but
> > since I
> > have to reboot using kernel.old the /var/run/dmesg.boot is wiped with the
> > info. Is there anyway to grab the info when it freezes when it reboots?
>
> Perhaps, entering single-user mode.

Nope. Disable ACPI, safe-mode and single user don't help at all.

> Add this lines to your kernel to help debug problem.
>
> makeoptions     DEBUG=-g
> options         KDB
> options         DDB
> options         GDB
> options         INVARIANTS
> options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
> options         WITNESS
> options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN

This doesn't really add anything to the output near the wpi freeze and I still
can't get to the actual message, since when I reboot it wipes it out. Any
other isolation steps or ways to get detailed info to at least a cut and
pastable state?

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson