UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Tue Sep 30 04:20:51 UTC 2008

Dan Nelson wrote:
> That'd be handy, but at least on my system the data prefetcher isn't
> really called often enough to make a difference either way (assuming
> the counts are accurate).  Metadata prefetch is a big win, however.

arcstats.prefetch_data_hits: 4538242 (13%)
arcstats.prefetch_data_misses: 29298997
arcstats.prefetch_metadata_hits: 593799808 (96%)
arcstats.prefetch_metadata_misses: 21582847

You are much luckier than me.  For obvious reasons, I would like to
completely disable data prefetch but leave on metadata prefetch.

I believe it would speed up the filesystem plus save RAM (less wasted
use of ARC).  But especially desktop systems would not need to waste
space on such aggressive prefetching.

- Andrew