ipfw uid rules now believed fixed (was: Re: Warning: known instability using ipfw "uid" rules)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 29 20:07:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008, Robert Watson wrote:

> An FYI: In the past couple of days, presumably as testing of 7.x becomes
> more widespread, I've seen several reports of instability resulting from
> ipfw credential rules.  For those unfamiliar with them, these allow the
> matching of packets in ipfw rules based on the credentials of the socket
> that generated them, or the credentials of the socket that likely will
> receive them.
>
> These problems are a side effect of elimating support for lock recursion on
> inpcbinfo locks as part of the UDP performance optimization work for 7.1.
> There are two minor TCP fixes, and a more serious ipfw bug fix, in the queue
> to be MFC'd in the next couple of days.  Once they're fixed, please make
> sure any further problems with deadlocks or panics involving ipfw rules are
> brought to my attention.

I've now MFC'd two fixes to TCP and one fix to IPFW that appear to have
resolved known reports of panics or deadlocks with ipfw uid/gid/jail rules.
If you are a user of uid/gid/jail rules and have been experiencing stability
problems, please let me know if they persist (or if you want, let me know that
they are resolved).  If you're someone generally interested in testing out
7.1, more testing of this feature would, of course, be welcome.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge