buildworld fails in csh

Tobias Roth freebsd.lists at fsck.ch
Fri Sep 26 16:19:29 UTC 2008

On 09/26/08 12:49, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Being as I just rebuilt world only 2 days ago and I did not run into
> this problem, I'm concluding the issue must be with your system.  :-)
> It's possible you've done some bizarre tuning in /etc/make.conf or
> /etc/src.conf which is somehow breaking the build.

I checked make.conf already, since that is usually the cause when I have
such problems. I didn't know about src.conf, I'll have a look at its
manpage (so, since I don't have one, that can't be the cause of my
problem either).

>> I'll wipe out /usr/src as well and re-cvsup, then build from single user
>> mode for minimal intervention by shells and environments and see whether
>> that might help.
>
> I don't see how booting single-user is going to help with any of this.

I was finally able to do a buildworld by doing it from single user mode.

My guess is that the root of the problem was with either the shell I was
using or some environment variables. Going to single user mode was just
the safest way to remove all those possible effects, since I'm not quite
sure how to do it in another way. But I agree, single user mode itself
is not likely to help other than that.

> And do not forget to remove /var/db/sup/src-all if you remove all of
> /usr/src.  People often forget this fact.

I forgot it as well :-)

Thanks,
Tobias

--