buildworld fails in csh

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 26 09:59:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:46:28AM +0200, Tobias Roth wrote:
> On 09/25/08 15:14, Andreas Rudisch wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:49:42 +0200
>> Tobias Roth <freebsd.lists at fsck.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> heh, that should be RELENG_7.
>>
>> Update your source tree again and clean up the build dirs.
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html#Q23.4.14.6.
>>
>> Could be caused by some left overs from a previous build.
>
> That didn't work. What else could I try?

Did you rm -fr /usr/obj/* before rebuilding world?  "That didn't work"
is too ambiguous.

The build is failing because it claims ICONV_CONST is undefined.

ICONV_CONST is found here:

$ grep -r ICONV_CONST /usr/src/contrib/tcsh /usr/src/bin/csh
/usr/src/contrib/tcsh/config.h.in:#undef ICONV_CONST
/usr/src/contrib/tcsh/configure:#define ICONV_CONST $am_cv_proto_iconv_arg1
/usr/src/contrib/tcsh/sh.func.c:    ICONV_CONST char *src;
/usr/src/bin/csh/config.h:#define ICONV_CONST const

src/bin/csh/config.h declares it.

The proper include files are only included if HAVE_ICONV is declared,
which it is (in src/bin/csh/Makefile), as you can see from -DHAVE_ICONV.
You might have to end up giving someone access to your box to solve this
problem.