proposed change to support policy for FreeBSD Releases

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-stable-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Sep 25 16:59:28 UTC 2008

Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> writes:

> Each branch is supported by the Security Officer for a limited time
> only, and is designated as one of `Early adopter', `Normal', or
> Final'. The designation is used as a guideline for determining the
> lifetime of the branch as follows.

I'm not clear on how this helps.  We don't know if there will be a
need to produce a 6.5 release, so there's no way to judge whether 6.4
should be designated "final" or not.  The only logical answer is to do
so, which leaves a substantial chance that there will end up being
more than one "final" release on the 6.x line.  That's not a
particularly desirable situation.

In fact, it's worse, because if 6.5 happens, it will probably be
because there were problems with 6.4 serious enough that we'd rather
people move to 6.5 anyway (at least for critical systems).

Be well.
        Lowell