Upcoming Releases Schedule...

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Tue Sep 23 18:36:24 UTC 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 12:45 AM, Ian Smith wrote:
> It also doesn't seem reasonable to expect that decision to be rushed  
> in
> advance of the necessary evaluation of the success or otherwise of  
> both
> 6.4 and 7.1 releases - especially when we're talking about these being
> only a month or so away anyway.

Let me try to say this one other way.  If you want businesses or  
anyone really who doesn't have unlimited time and energy to help  
evaluate, test, etc this release prior to it coming out, shouldn't you  
make it worth their while?  Supporting 6.3 for longer than 6.4 doesn't  
make it worth anyone's time or attention to evaluate 6.4.   Which  
means that it becomes significantly more likely that 6.4 will ship  
with a major problem that could or should have been caught in pre- 
release testing.

The current policy of "not deciding until after the fact" for support  
periods could in fact be implemented with a reasonable policy that  
doesn't require a psychic to determine the likely failure or not of a  
release.  I've proposed one.  I'm sure that there are better ways to  
say it, but I'd really appreciate it if you guys would take the  
problem seriously.

Jo Rhett
Net Consonance : consonant endings by net philanthropy, open source  
and other randomness

More information about the freebsd-stable mailing list