Installworld deletes libc

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Sun Sep 21 22:24:30 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:17:58AM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>> I have the problem similar to one described in 20071024 UPDATING.  The
>> build is running inside a jail. The system is 6.2-RELEASE. I supped this
>> moring.  I have the correct lib/Makefile.  During installworld I receive
>> an error:
>>
>> install: /lib/libc.so.6: chflags: Operation not permitted
>> *** Error code 71
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src/lib/libc.
>>
>> My situation is different in the libc is erased in the process.  Copying
>> the new libc.so.6 from /usr/obj does not fix the problem.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Sounds like kern.securelevel is in the way.  See security(7).

The securelevel would normally prevent the deletion of a file.  The
secure level of this jail is -1 in any case so the schg flag should be
ignored. security.jail.chflags_allowed=0 seems to supersede the
securelevel according to sysctl(8).

Some part of installworld is misbehaving in the jail. The security
mechanisms in securelevel and security.jail.chflags_allowed are not working.

Regards,
Jason