Upcoming Releases Schedule...

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Sat Sep 20 05:44:31 UTC 2008

On Sep 19, 2008, at 9:41 PM, Gary Palmer wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 07:38:32PM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
>> Without input from the current release team extending the support
>> schedule is not possible.
>
> Inquiry - is release team the constraint?

I don't know.  I asked why not, and was told the release team said
this was all they could do with the resources they have.  No further
information has been provided.

> Or to put it another way, what to you is "support" in terms of
> FreeBSD releases. As far as I am aware, if you stick on a
> RELENG_X_Y_Z_RELEASE tag
> then the most you get is security fixes.  No new features,
> no new drivers, no bugfixes.  So if I am interpreting things
> correctly, you are asking for security fixes to be ported to
> RELEASE tagged branches for longer?

That is what I and my $EMPLOYER want yes, although as I said I am
willing to support other efforts.  (ie I am unlikely to be the
difference between make or break on this effort, so if more support
was something that got other businesses involved enough to achieve
that change, then....)

> So is release team the contrained resource in your problem?
> I am not denying that *any* part of the FreeBSD team is not
> resource constrained, but I'm wondering if you're examining
> the correct area.

That's a good question I don't have the answer to.  Nobody has
actually defined the problem to me beyond the statement above.  This
is why it's difficult to determine how to best proceed.  Until the
real problems are laid on the table (so to speak) I haven't the
foggiest idea where/how/when to help, nor whether or not my or anyone
else's assistance would be useful.  (one assumes it would)
--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness