Upcoming Releases Schedule...

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Sep 18 19:15:33 UTC 2008

First, thanks for taking the question seriously ;-)

On Sep 18, 2008, at 8:47 AM, Dylan Cochran wrote:
> problem can't be solved just by extending time with the hope that the
> resources will be allocated (no offense to your character, but that

No offense taken.  I would never suggest we do anything based on
hope.  In my company's specific case, we'd want to work out the
details of exactly how much time we'd commit and what our goal was in
committing that time.  (besides the obvious "giving back to the
community part" which we do anyway)

Most of the people that I know personally who are interested in this
topic are in similar situations.  They would want to discuss the
necessary resources to achieve a specific goal, and make specific
commitments on the amount of time they could give.  I seriously don't
know anyone who wanders into any situation saying "oh, maybe if I help
out the tooth fairy will visit me!" ;-)

That said, I know little about the multi-architecture problems you
present here so I can't offer much other commentary, other than:

> problem is best solved not by arguing how to work around the symptoms,
> but to analyze and solve the parent problems that may not be so
> obvious.

I suspect this above statement applies to every problem the release
and testing teams have.  What is necessary to get consensus to even
discuss the issues involved?

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness