crossbuilding of RELENG_7 broken?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Sep 15 19:20:34 UTC 2008

On 2008-Sep-15 18:18:28 +0200, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de> wrote:
>Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> On 2008-Sep-14 18:21:45 +0200, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de> wrote:
>>> Building them works fine, but when I nfs-mount /usr/obj and /usr/src on the
>>> target system, install does not work. Neiter installkernel nor installworld.
>>
>> You're going to have to give more detail - like your exact command and
>> the last few dozen lines of the make install{world,kernel} output.
>>

>So well, here it is:
>
>Command on the amd64 build machine:
>
># env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/VECTRA-7 make -j4 buildworld buildkernel KERNCONF=VECTRA-7
>
>It builds without incident and yes I did try without -j4 and it didn't work either.
>
>On the i386 target machine, /usr/src and /usr/obj are NFS mounts:

># env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/VECTRA-7/i386 make installkernel KERNCONF=VECTRA-7

I didn't understand exactly what you were doing before.  The
install{world,kernel} must be executed on the same architecture (and
similar FreeBSD version) as the build{world,kernel} because the
install{world,kernel} executes code that was built as part of the
buildworld.

Rather than NFS mounting the buildhost onto the target and running
install{world,kernel} on the target, you need to NFS mount the target
/ and /usr onto the buildhost and use DESTDIR to point the install at
the correct location.  This will work, modulo some chflags issues
(chflags isn't supported over NFS - I don't recall offhand where this
is discussed but google should be able to help).

--
Peter Jeremy