Audio CD problem on laptop VGN-SZ61MN

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Thu Sep 11 20:18:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 08:54:17AM +0200, Harald Weis wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 11:56:23AM -0300, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
>
> > 1. Try to insert the CD and wait until it stops pinning before
> > starting mplayer. Some drives are a bit lazy on media recognition.

Doesn't make a difference.

> > 2. Run "truss mplayer ..." and look for error messages.

The output file does not mention the "Invalid argument" message
or, as far as I can understand, any other fatal stuff.

> > 3. Attempt to use a different player. Xine and/or one of its alternate
> > front-ends like GXine or Kaffeine are good choices.
>
> I'll be away from keyboard for two weeks or so.
> I shall reply then as soon as possible.

Xine:
``xine cdda://dev/acd0/n'' works fine despite of six lines
       ``Cannot find address for OpenGl extension function ...
       which should be available according to extension specs.''.
But the GUI does not work properly. For example, the CD button generates
``CDIOCREADAUDIO: Invalid argument'' messages.

No wonder that gxine and kaffeine which use the xine engine don't work either.

Finally, the only (audioCD) command which does work on this laptop is
``vlc cdda:///dev/acd0@1-3''.
Disappointing, but better than nothing.

Thank you again for your comments.
Harald