Fixing cvsup bus error

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 10 14:57:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:26:45AM -0400, Lisa Besko wrote:
> I'm getting the bus error mentioned in PR bin/124353 and I need a bit
> more detail on how to apply the patch.
>
> Right now I'm getting the following error when I try to do a make on
> cvsup-without-gui:
>
> Fatal Error: bad version stamps: SupTCP.m3
>
> I put the changes in the
> /usr/local/lib/m3/pkg/m3core/src/unix/freebsd-4.amd64/Unix.i3 file
>
> I created the file
> /usr/local/lib/m3/pkg/m3core/src/runtime/FBSD_AMD64/RTHeapDepC.c since
> it didn't exist on my system.
>
> I'm running 6.4-PRERELEASE
>
> I am not clear on where I should be making these changes or  when I
> should make them so if someone would be kind enough to point me in the
> correct direction I would appreciate it.

I can see how the PR is confusing in this regard.  The problem is with
ezm3 (the Modula3 software), which cvsup relies on, and not really with
cvsup itself.

The patches in the PR (from jkoshky@) are for the ports/lang/ezm3
software.  Those patches were added to the lang/ezm3 port about 3
weeks ago:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/ezm3/Makefile.diff?r1=1.18;r2=1.19;f=h
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/ezm3/files/extra-patch-fcntl

Are you at all able to update your ports tree using csup, even if just
temporarily?  If so, the patches should get pulled down, and all you
have to do is:

* pkg_delete cvsup-without-gui and ezm3 from your system (use pkg_info
  to find out what their exact names are, then pkg_delete them)

Then:

# cd /usr/ports/lang/ezm3
# make clean
# cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui
# make clean && make && make install

If you cannot update your ports tree, you'll have to download these
two files:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/lang/ezm3/Makefile?rev=1.19;content-type=text%2Fplain
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/lang/ezm3/files/extra-patch-fcntl?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

Take the first URL and save it as /usr/ports/lang/ezm3/Makefile

Take the second URL and save it as /usr/ports/lang/ezm3/files/extra-patch-fcntl

Then follow the same steps I listed above (starting with the
pkg_delete).

Hope this helps.