radeon and FreeBSD freeze

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 10 14:07:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 17:39 +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> >> The most convenient way to freeze the OS is to finish gnome session.
>
> I stand corrected. It's not a freeze but panic -- the machine reboots
> itself. No core though:
> -----
> Sep 10 17:02:01 host savecore: reboot after panic: page fault
> Sep 10 17:02:01 host savecore: no dump, not enough free space on device (55888 available, need 359726)
> Sep 10 17:02:01 host savecore: unsaved dumps found but not saved
> -----
>
> Don't understand why it's not enough memory:
> -----
> host% swapinfo -h
> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
> /dev/ad8s1b       4194304       0B     4.0G     0%
> -----

It's not enough free space on /var to save the core.

> >> When gdm is reloading the whole mashine freezes at gnome greeter.
> >> The mouse cursor freezes while being a clock-buzzer. Ctrl-alt-del
> >> doesn't help, only reset does.

> >> Didn't try, but may do if it may help.
> >>
> >> Here is my X-log:
> >> ftp://ftp.ipt.ru/pub/tmp/Xorg.0.log
> >
> > Something is very odd here... drm is not being enabled, so it is not at
> > fault.  Are all of your ports up to date and built without the nvidia
> > option?
>
> I used to build ports at tinderbox and then unstall packages.
> I can't find any changes for xorg ports options -- seems that
> tinderbox uses the defaults.
>
> I'm not sure if all (needed?) ports are up-to-date.

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the it looks like libGL
and / or dri need to be updated.  That may not resolve the issue, but it
definately doesn't look correct.  If that doesn't fix it, a core is
going to be the best chance of figuring out exactly what is wrong.

robert.