radeon and FreeBSD freeze (was: Re: Do you need x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd-devel?)

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 10 12:38:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 15:47 +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> (Since I use RELENG_7, the email should go to stable at . Please trim
> current@ at reply.)
>

> Hello Kostik,
>
> Kostik Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> writes:

> >> Sorry to inform you but actually I have:
> >> -----
> >> (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Sapphire X550 Silent] rev 0, Mem @ 0xd0000000/28, 0xfe7e0000/16, I/O @ 0xb000/8, BIOS @ 0xfe7c0000/17
> >> (--) PCI: (1:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 secondary [Sapphire X550 Silent] rev 0, Mem @ 0xfe7f0000/16
> >> -----
> >> ...which seems to be supported by the radeon (not radeonhd) driver.
> >> Well, I'd say that my card rather unsupported, since I get freezing
> >> X with it. So I have to use the vesa driver.
> >
> > Could you give more details on the freeze symptoms ?
> > E.g., is it complete freeze, or is mouse pointer still alive ?
>
> The most convenient way to freeze the OS is to finish gnome session.
> When gdm is reloading the whole mashine freezes at gnome greeter.
> The mouse cursor freezes while being a clock-buzzer. Ctrl-alt-del
> doesn't help, only reset does.
>
> > Does disabling DRI in xorg.conf fixes the problem ?
>
> Didn't try, but may do if it may help.
>
> Here is my X-log:
> ftp://ftp.ipt.ru/pub/tmp/Xorg.0.log

Something is very odd here... drm is not being enabled, so it is not at
fault.  Are all of your ports up to date and built without the nvidia
option?

(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not
found)

robert.