How to disable NFS fnctl in /etc/fstab?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Sep 8 16:41:58 UTC 2008

Tim Chen wrote:
 > For some reason we want to disable fnctl lock for NFS
 > mounted partition. We can achieve this by the following
 > command: mount_nfs -T -L server:/home /mnt
 > However after several time of failure tests, we still
 > can not make it work in /etc/fstab.
 >
 > server:/home /mnt nfs rw,tcp 0 0

server:/home /mnt nfs rw,tcp,-L 0 0

 > By the way, since the machine is running as a mail server which
 > install postfix,courier-imap, will it happen any kind of data
 > corruption due to NFS fnctl lock disabled?

In general, all programs that access mail files must use
locking for concurrent access.  Without proper locking
you'll get data corruption.  I strongly advise against
running mail software on NFS mounts without locking
(i.e. with the -L option).

Best regards
   Oliver

"If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected
abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor, and when was the
last time you needed one?"
        -- Tom Cargil, C++ Journal