Inspiron 1525 Hardware

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 16:30:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 09:47 -0600, Dan Allen wrote:

> Here is what lspci on Ubunut returns:

> Slot:	09:00.0
> Class:	Ethernet controller [0200]
> Vendor:	Marvell Technology Group Ltd. [11ab]
> Device:	88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller [4354]
> SVendor:	Dell [1028]
> SDevice:	Unknown device [022f]
> Rev:	12

This particular chip isn't supported in any version of FreeBSD at this
moment.  Patches do exist for it at
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/msk/msk.88E8040.patch
but they haven't been integrated yet, presumably because it hasn't been
sufficiently tested yet.

> Slot:	0b:00.0
> Class:	Network controller [0280]
> Vendor:	Intel Corporation [8086]
> Device:	PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection [4229]
> SVendor:	Intel Corporation [8086]
> SDevice:	Unknown device [1120]
> Rev:	61

This is supported by the iwn(4) driver in CURRENT, and it should be
quite easy to port the driver to 7-STABLE.  If you're interested in
reinstalling FreeBSD and testing a backported driver, I'm sure this can
be sorted.

Gavin