FreeBSD 7.1 Content

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Thu Sep 4 06:51:06 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 03:01:48PM -0600, Dan Allen wrote:
>> On 3 Sep 2008, at 1:53 PM, Guido Falsi wrote:
>>
>>> If you just want na instant workstation, why you just don't try
>>> Freesbie or something like that?
>> Because I want something from the source -- from the main team -- and
>> not something downstream.
>>
>>> If I install FreeBSD on a PC I expect this installation to live there
>>> for some years. I can spend some hours/days installing and configuring
>>> what I really need. At least this is the way I see it. Maybe I'm
>>> misunderstanding you.
>> I too spend the time.  I am thinking that for other people to want to
>> use FreeBSD they want something other than a command prompt.  They at
>> least want a web browser out of the box.
>
> I haven't finished reading the thread yet, but your assumption is
> ignorant.  Why do you think FreeBSD is intended solely for desktop
> usage?  It's not.
>
> I, for one, **only want a command prompt** out of the box.  I **do not**
> want Xorg or any X-related garbage on my servers.

I fully agree with this last statement. I choose freebsd for many
reasons, and this is one of those, I tried a few linux distributions,
and even slackware installs too much garbage if you're not looking
closely at it.

And n the way to providing a useful desktop system out of the box, I
think no one can choose arbitrarily what to include and what not. Most
people would find WM+FF[23] too little, some other would want some
minimal gnome/kde, some others full blown gnome/kde (or other des for
example) who's bound to choose?

FreeBSD has always made a choice to be just an os, and a server oriented
one. There are downstream distributions bundling full blown systems,
and, as stated by others, the devel team has no time to spare, I think
it should concentrate on that, and leave the desktop work to others.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>