bin/121684: : dump(8) frequently hangs

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Sep 1 23:51:47 UTC 2008

> Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:38:56 -0700
> From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>
>
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 09:00:12AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 09:36:11 -0400
> > > From: Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net>
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org

> > > There have been a number of commits to releng_7
> > > that fixed dump issues for me.  A box that used
> > > to regularly exhibit hung dump processes have
> > > been working fine since April.  e.g. a kernel from
> > > 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #4: Wed Apr 30
> > >
> > > does weekly level 0 dumps and daily differential
> > > dumps on the file systems below without issue
> > > % df -i
> > > Filesystem    1K-blocks      Used     Avail
> > > Capacity iused    ifree %iused  Mounted on
> > > /dev/twed0s1a   2026030    284346   1579602    15%    2937   279685    1%   /
> > > devfs                 1         1         0
> > > 100%       0        0  100%   /dev
> > > /dev/twed0s1d   5077038    575828   4095048
> > > 12%    1197   658257    0%   /tmp
> > > /dev/twed0s1e  20308398  11072840   7610888
> > > 59% 1065406  1572416   40%   /usr
> > > /dev/twed0s1f  20308398  13275050   5408678
> > > 71%   13750  2624072    1%   /var
> > > /dev/twed0s1g 246875258
> > > 186393906  40731332    82% 9118036 22794922   29%   /zoo
> > >
> > > However, you should test and make sure it works for you.
> >
> > I have a 7-Stable system which has not been able to successfully dump(8)
> > for about 2 months. Since it contains almost no important data that is
> > subject to change, it's not too big a deal, but I worry that other
> > systems might start showing the same problems.
> >
> > I have no idea why it's failing, though, and I have spent little effort
> > in troubleshooting it. I'm running 3 week old stable and I'll be
> > updating to today's RELENG_7 later today.
>
> Can someone explain what "dump frequently hangs" actually means?
>
> Does it lock up the entire machine indefinitely (and if so, how long did
> you wait for it to (hopefully) recover)?
>
> Or does it more or less "deadlock" the machine, making it generally
> unusable, until the dump is completely finished?
>
> If the latter, I can confirm this problem -- which is why we moved all
> of our production systems away from using dump on UFS2 to simply using
> rsnapshot[1].  I'll try to find the thread (it was a year or so ago)
> where a developer told me more or less what was going on.  The problem
> was that UFS2 snapshot generation, over time, becomes slower and slower
> to generate (this is what dump does on UFS2 systems, with or without the
> -L flag), and is a known design issue.
>
> If anything, this issue makes ZFS incredibly important with regards to
> -STABLE, where its snapshot generation for backups does not behave this
> was; fast and very easily managable.
>
> [1]: rsync is great for backups, and very fast, but there's the issue of
> modifying atimes.  I committed a patch to ports/net/rsync which adds an
> --atimes flag, except its behaviour is not what you'd expect: the file
> [...]

In my case the dump deadlocks, but the system is unaffected. The dump
just freezes. I need to look at it more closely, but I simply have not
had time. I don't even recall what state it is in when frozen, but it
can be 'kill -9'ed. The problem has persisted through at least one system
upgrade.

I'll try to track down more tomorrow.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer