ZFS performance issues (solved?!)

Arnaud Houdelette arnaud.houdelette at tzim.net
Mon Sep 1 15:21:58 UTC 2008

Wes Morgan a écrit :
> Sep 2008, John Birrell wrote:
>
>> For those people experiencing a performance degradation since the
>> DTrace import, please update your copy of
>> src/sys/cddl/compat/opensolaris/kern/opensolaris_kmem.c by either
>> cvsup of direct edit to remove "#define KMEM_DEBUG".
>>
>> You only need to rebuild the opensolaris kernel module after this
>> change. The code is shared between ZFS and DTrace via the opensolaris
>> kernel module.
>>
>> This is also the reason why you found it necessary to add KDB, DDB
>> and STACK to your kernel. After removing KMEM_DEBUG, you won't need
>> those.
>>
>> Please confirm that this solves the problem you have been seeing.
>
> 8 or so hours later and everything is good here.
>
> One other suggestion, the "opensolaris" module that is now required
> for zfs is not mentioned anywhere in UPDATING. Users of
> "MODULES_OVERRIDE" will likely find themselves with a system that will
> not boot without manual intervention, sometimes even requiring a live
> cd. A headsup or warning would probably be appreciated by other zfs'ers.
I had really bad performance before removing the line. I had to disable
zil on zfs (my /usr/src is on zfs) to be able to recompile, as one of
the zil process was eating up nearly all off the CPU.

After rebuild/install kernel, no problems anymore. Thanks.

I second the above suggestion about opensolaris. There's no mention
anywhere of this module (or at least, I didn'it find one before), on
UPDATING nor on the list of what this module is for ?