re0 problem

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:12:23 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:11:23AM +0300, Ilya Bakulin wrote:
 > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:31:52 +0900
 > Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 01:28:27PM +0400, Ilya Bakulin wrote:
 > >  > On my laptop (Dell Vostro 1310) I get _periodically_ (not always!) the same error:
 > <snip>
 > >  > re0: PHY write failed
 > >  > re0: PHY write failed
 > >  > re0: MII without any phy!
 > >  > device_attach: re0 attach returned 6
 > <snip>
 >
 > > This is known issue which happens on RTL8168C/CP and RTL8102E/EL
 > > PCIe controllers. Would you try the patch at the following URL?
 > >
 > > http://www.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.ephy.patch.20081021
 > >
 > > Even if the patch work for you, you should try serveral times to
 > > make sure it really fix the issue.(e.g. completely shutdown your
 > > box, unplug power cord  and wait several mininutes and reboot.)
 >
 > > --
 > > Regards,
 > > Pyun YongHyeon
 >
 > I've applied this patch nine days ago and added "if_re_load=yes" in /boot/loader.conf (Earlier I used to kldload it only if I needed to). Since that time I've never seen errors. Thank you!!!

Please make sure you've (cold/warm) rebooted several times with
this patch. Just applying the patch and using it without reboots
doesn't necessary mean a working fix. Since it's hard to reproduce
the issue even on a system with problematic controllers I'd like to
have confidence in the patch.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon