7.x and multiple IPs in jails

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 29 02:43:53 PDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Chris St Denis wrote:

> Serious question here (not trolling).
>
> These patches have been around for years, why have they never been committed
> to trunk/stable?

Network stacks are incredibly complicated pieces of software, and some of the
short-cuts jail took to accomplish its goals without implementing true
virtualization break down when generalized.  The patches to date have made the
code more complicated and added more edge cases, and we'd like to avoid adding
more edge cases to the stack if we can avoid it, as every edge case offers the
opportunity for bugs and maintenance issues.  The current patches Bjoern is
preparing address most of these concerns, and they've been undergoing review
and testing for a few months now.  I'd like to think they will be in 8.x
relatively shortly (next week or two), and in 7.x before 7.2.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge