Short SMART check causes disk op timeouts

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Oct 28 06:10:21 PDT 2008

on 27/10/2008 21:59 Jeremy Chadwick said the following:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:50:44PM +0100, martinko wrote:
>> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>>> Can you explain why you're doing this?  So far no one's provided a
>>> reason *why* they're doing short and long offline scans on a daily
>>> basis.  I'm under the impression the conclusion was reached like this:
>>> "man smartd.conf ... oh, -s, a neat thing, let's enable it".
>>>
>>> There are negative repercussions to doing tests of this nature at such
>>> regular intervals.  Once-a-week is borderline acceptable; once a month
>>> would be quite reasonable.  I'd love to know what kind of affect daily
>>> tests have on MTBF; I can imagine it's reached much sooner with this.
>>>
>>> The main point of smartd is to monitor SMART attribute changes.  If
>>> you're concerned about the health of your hard disk, you should be
>>> looking at your logs and not relying on things like automatic short/long
>>> tests.  Most SMART attributes are updated immediately and not during an
>>> offline test, and all of those attribute changes will be logged.
>>>
>> You asked Miroslav about source of his configuration.  And as it is very
>> similar to mine I think we both have it from smartd documentation. Where
>> else to look for information?  It's a usual source.  So if you think it's
>> wrong please contact the authors, we're obviously just users.
>> Thanks.
>
> I'm not asking *where* you got the information from (we know where you
> and others got it from: the documentation).  I'm asking you *why* you
> enabled what you did, because this is not something smartd.conf enables
> by default (the example is commented out).
>
> If you *really* want me to talk to Bruce about this, I can/will, but I'm
> left with the impression that the example in smartd.conf is there to
> show people the syntactical usage of -o, and not to advocate its usage.
>
>> PS: Btw, long offline scan is scheduled on weekly basis, not daily. If
>> it's good or not I do not know.
>
> The OP's long scan is also scheduled on a weekly basis (every Sunday),
> but his short scan trumps it.
>
> Folks, the point I'm trying to make here is that daily -- and even
> weekly -- SMART offline tests are unnecessary.  If you're that concerned
> about your disk health, you should be looking at your syslog logs for
> attribute changes that indicate drive issues.  Performing SMART offline
> tests at regular intervals like this does very little other than
> increase wear/tear on drive components (not necessarily the physical
> platters/heads; there are many pieces to a hard disk.  :-) )

BTW, I am not entirely sure what Bruce you mentioned above - probably I
missed something, but I found this post:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.smartmontools/1443

This was a long time ago, and it really warns about the same balance
that you do, but it can hint at "source of authority" for all the
configs around.

--
Andriy Gapon