Short SMART check causes disk op timeouts

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 27 12:59:58 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:50:44PM +0100, martinko wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>>>
>>> Hallo,
>>>
>>> Reading this thread I checked my config to find this: ;-)
>>>
>>> #/dev/ad0 -a -n standby,q -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../7/03)
>>> -m  root    # ++ 2006-11-03 mato
>>> /dev/ad0 -a -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../7/03) -m root  # ++
>>> 2006-11-03 mato
>>>
>>> I believe I came up with the settings after reading manual page /
>>> documentation of the tool.
>>
>> Can you explain why you're doing this?  So far no one's provided a
>> reason *why* they're doing short and long offline scans on a daily
>> basis.  I'm under the impression the conclusion was reached like this:
>> "man smartd.conf ... oh, -s, a neat thing, let's enable it".
>>
>> There are negative repercussions to doing tests of this nature at such
>> regular intervals.  Once-a-week is borderline acceptable; once a month
>> would be quite reasonable.  I'd love to know what kind of affect daily
>> tests have on MTBF; I can imagine it's reached much sooner with this.
>>
>> The main point of smartd is to monitor SMART attribute changes.  If
>> you're concerned about the health of your hard disk, you should be
>> looking at your logs and not relying on things like automatic short/long
>> tests.  Most SMART attributes are updated immediately and not during an
>> offline test, and all of those attribute changes will be logged.
>>

> You asked Miroslav about source of his configuration.  And as it is very
> similar to mine I think we both have it from smartd documentation. Where
> else to look for information?  It's a usual source.  So if you think it's
> wrong please contact the authors, we're obviously just users.
> Thanks.

I'm not asking *where* you got the information from (we know where you
and others got it from: the documentation).  I'm asking you *why* you
enabled what you did, because this is not something smartd.conf enables
by default (the example is commented out).

If you *really* want me to talk to Bruce about this, I can/will, but I'm
left with the impression that the example in smartd.conf is there to
show people the syntactical usage of -o, and not to advocate its usage.

> PS: Btw, long offline scan is scheduled on weekly basis, not daily. If
> it's good or not I do not know.

The OP's long scan is also scheduled on a weekly basis (every Sunday),
but his short scan trumps it.

Folks, the point I'm trying to make here is that daily -- and even
weekly -- SMART offline tests are unnecessary.  If you're that concerned
about your disk health, you should be looking at your syslog logs for
attribute changes that indicate drive issues.  Performing SMART offline
tests at regular intervals like this does very little other than
increase wear/tear on drive components (not necessarily the physical
platters/heads; there are many pieces to a hard disk.  :-) )